Thursday, March 12, 2009

Social Networking---Six Degrees (or more) of Separation

In just a few short weeks it seems like everyone is becoming more aware of social networking and how it can add value in their life. Maybe it is because I have become more aware that I am noticing it more, but I can't imagine now living without it.

I am re-connecting with college friends and past co-workers who I haven't heard from in years. It is great to hear from them and have a brief catch-up----many of them I spent hours of my life with and shared many good memories. Yes a bit nostalgic, and yes, maybe I won't hear from them again in the near future, but it is nice to know they are out there and living life just like I am. You never know as life goes on when your paths may cross again or who they may know that you would like to know. It is also amazing to me how many people I know that know the same people I do. (The real six degrees or more of separation.) In a normal conversation the connection wouldn't even come up, but when you have access to people's on-line connections through social media sites like linkedin or twitter, you can see the commonalities and use them to strengthen your relationships. Also, the people I have met through social networking have been incredible--both supportive and helpful and interested in how they can help me. Total strangers a few months ago and now people I can turn to for advice and who I can also help. Social networking is a community of people who want to help other people, or they wouldn't be putting themselves out there.

No matter what you do in your business or personal life, get involved in social networking! It may seem like a huge time commitment without knowing what the actual results will be, but it will add value to your life as a person and most likely as a professional --whether it be re-connecting, making a new connection, or just helping someone out with advice or support who needs it. If used frequently and in the right way , you won't remember life without it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey MT, Congratulations on your new blog. I'm glad to see you embracing social media as a way of communicating. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete