Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Get out of your bubble and blog!

Here I am....blogging! Who would have thought months ago I would be doing this? I was working full time and in a bubble.....work/home/life; --repeat--work/home/life--repeat--not at all aware of what was going on outside of my little life bubble. Then a change occurs and you have time to open your eyes and see what you have been missing.

Most of those working full time for a company don't have time to attend networking meetings, volunteer with organizations or to blog. They get sucked in to the daily life of working for a company and trying to manage all the internal drama that goes with it. You become focused on what is in front of you and you become isolated from the world around you. Especially when you work for a larger company and you lose control of your own schedule. It is what happened to me---what a mistake!

I was downsized, and now I have the time to research and join groups and associations I want to get involved with while searching for a job. I am enjoying the freedom to explore and learn new things and meet some great people who are sharing their knowledge. It is refreshing to meet people who are doing what they want to do and are happy doing it! They are controlling their lives. It inspired me to begin blogging to tell my story and share my knowledge. Blogging is a great way to become an expert in an area you have interest and grow your personal brand, and while searching for a job become noticed for what you can bring to the table of a future employer.

This is the lesson--don't lose control of yourself when working for someone else. It is very easy to do when trying to climb the corporate ladder and do "the right thing". Stay true to who you are and continue to network even when working full time. It keeps you in touch with the outside world and you will be inspired to keep growing and learning. Start a blog and share your knowledge and story. All the information you can share will help you grow your business and your own personal brand, and keep you connected (even from your bubble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment